The end of year donation appeal for the LGBT community center fund is going well. Thanks to all who have contributed. It’s not too late if you would like to contribute. The fundraising committee, Lynn Bowling, Jamie Espina, Dusty Church, and Jusak Bernhard, are hard at work developing a fundraising plan for the Center.
The committee is beginning to talk about possible locations and have even looked online at potential properties. There are several principles and criteria guiding our committee, which we would like to share. They are:
THE SPACE SHOULD:
- Be as centrally located as possible to major population centers in the Savannah area
- Be located close to public transit
- Be accessible to persons with disabilitieshttp about
- Be in an area that makes it possible to create a safe space for all users of the facility
THE CENTER WILL ALSO:
- Create a safe space for all members of the LGBTQ community,
- Act as a hub for advocacy and services for the LGBTQ community,
- Act as a meeting space for partner organizations throughout the community, and,
- Be sustainable through multiple streams of revenue.
Our search will become more active in early spring with the goal to be in the new space by June 1st. Suggestions and comments are welcomed. Go to savannahlgbtcenter.org.
by Billy Wooten